Sunday, August 27, 2017

Cake-off: Sadaharu Aoki's Cassisier over Très Calme's Mont Blanc

Started off with morning cycling with the new bike to check out the route to Maison Douce. Google had a short cut from the main road, but I'm not the only one it told about and it's not really wide enough even for two large cars to pass each other without pedestrians and cyclists, so I think I'll just put up with the noise along the main road. It was about 28 km and I was back in under a couple hours. No major hills, but I did manage to get it to top gear on one somewhat downward stretch.

For cake, I decided to do a cake off with the nearly reappeared Cassisier (though I spelled it Cassissier before, though I'm not sure whether I was correcting their spelling then) from Sadaharu Aoki. First, though, I had to run up to Très Calme, which I tried to do by the Google route, but ended up too far west by one bridge and maybe did more climbing than necessary. It was still cool (with a sweat-soaked shirt in a breeze) with clouds, until 10:30, but then got pretty hot when the sun came out. It's about 13 km round trip and I could manage 10 km/h up and 9 km/h, despite heat and slopes (though only about 30 m each way). Then I hit Isetan for Cassisier and confirmed the actual ingredients in my previous Sadaharu Aoki visit. I also did a short (< 1 km) shopping run after that, all these at around 9 km/h or more.

Both of these cakes are definitely excellent, so I don't want to demote them, but neither stood out strongly. In the end, I'm giving it to Cassisier based on degree of difference from other great cakes (I've had other great Mont Blanc), but the Mont Blanc would win for value, since it's about 60% of the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment