Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Jean François: Kouign Amann

Today was a no cake day, at least a no fresh cake: I still got a snack. I ran, somewhat fast (because it was somewhat hot) to Ginza 6 by a not so direct route, a little under 6 km at a little over 10 km/h. Coming back was 9 km/h, as I dealt with a less familiar route that took be through Hibiya Park and also shopping.

I got a Kouign Amann from Jean François at Ginza 6, opened this year. Jean François is a Viennoiserie, which means sweet breads, though they have plain walnut bread, so I'm not sure what counts. I'd really like to see some breakdown of baked goods from fancy fresh cakes down to breads. This cake/pastry/bread was, I think, excellent, though I'm highly biased toward it. It was sort of the middle of the spectrum as far as the balance between crisp flaky and soft parts, as these things go, much like croissant (no special center, but there was some caramelization on the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment