Monday, August 21, 2017

Pierre Hermé: Ispahan

I should perhaps have taken a day off cake to make up for two pieces yesterday (Sunday's failed cake-off), but I'm going to do that Tuesday, when my main department store sources are closed (Isetan and Mitsukoshi) for a summer holiday. Instead, I wanted to get in a cake for my new "Quite Superb" shop Pierre Hermé. It was a tough choice between a cake I had been putting off for a long time and type of cake that I barely recognized as cake (cream puffs) and I went with the former. First, though I visited Pierre Gagnaire to see if they had their chocolate tart from March for a future cake-off, but they didn't.

Coming back, I did the second half of the Shinjuku History and Culture course in reverse, which for all the times I've done this stretch, I think I've never done. It was actually maybe better, in terms of the timing of lights, and the variation in which hills were up and which were down was interesting (much steeper slopes than what I've been calling training hill running, although with some space between them). It's about 6 km (just for the H&C course) in under 40 min, which is pretty good for the up-down. Also, I could run along the embankment overlooking Yotsuya Station (not sure why the embankment is there, but maybe it's related to the old outer defense wall for Edo).

The Ispahan is a traditional cake, apparently, or at least Dalloyau is not the only place that has it. It's a big macaron with lychee on the inside and raspberry on the outside, as well as a little cream to cement things in place. I'd like more cream and less fruit, but I respect it and so I'm going to say it's excellent (also, it's beautiful). I tried cutting it with a knife and eating it with a fork but if I ever get it again, I'd rather just pick it up so that I can more easily get a balance of all the elements, which I think is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment