Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Frédéric Cassel: Turin

Yesterday, I just had a croissant from Pierre Hermé, from the Omotesando main shop. It was good but expensive and not that special. It was soft versus crispy in a buttery way rather than a dry fluffy way, to explain its position among the spectrum of croissant types. That's the second non-cake pastry that I've had from them that was nothing special, so I should probably steer clear of them for those types of things. On the plus side, they had all three of the advertised new cakes, whereas Isetan had only one by the time I could get there. The running was relatively fast, 10 km/h going and 9 km/h coming back for a total of 8 km (a couple of those being from going by way of near Shinjuku Station, because I had somewhere else to visit). Interestingly, the run down Meiji Avenue between Shinjuku Station and Harajuku Station was not that congested, though I still got sort of lost when I turned on the back streets to cross over to Aoyama Street, and it's not as flat back in there as I expect.

Today, the run was to Ginza and back (with a stop at the grocery). It was 9 km total, not including walking under Ginza, but only 8 or 9 km/h. It was a little hot and definitely humid, as there was some light rain, especially going out. (If there is steady rain, the paper bag or even just its handle would not survive). Not sure what the real name of what I got was. I'm going with Turin (updated, based on JPH's spelling of one of their chestnut cakes). It's from Frédéric Cassel, who I'm almost caught up on (though, I'm not sure what I'll do then, since most of the other places I need to go are not available weekdays). it's chestnut cream and mascarpone cheese (which features heavily in a hot of their stuff). Unfortunately, it's not very exciting and of course expensive, but definitely good. On the plus side, their Mont-blanc Jewel is back, so I'll probably be doing my next cake-off with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment