Monday, August 21, 2017

Dalloyau: Tarte Fruits des Bois (second time)

I intended to do a cake-off, but confused one cake for another. It's actually surprising that it does not happen more, though it was not completely useless. What triggered it was my first choice being unavailable due to summer vacation and Frédéric Cassel having their limited Tarte Ruby Roman available only until Monday. Actually, Tarte Ruby Roman was only rated excellent, so it didn't qualify for a cake-off, though it's also not a waste of time to confirm an excellent one. Also, it's an excellent match for Tarte Fruits des Bois from Dalloyau, which I had rated as great.

The 5 km I ran going to Ginza as at 11+ km/h, being not too hot in the morning, although that did rise to less comfortable levels later and there was more sun than I would have liked. I got both cakes and took the train back, more because I thought they were a little delicate for jogging than because of the heat.

The tart bases of these two are equally excellent, so I wouldn't mind learning how to make them, and the fruit is good as fruit goes, but it's hard to say that these tarts are definitely excellent, much less one of them being great. I'm downgrading Tarte Fruits des Bois, disqualifying it from a future cake-off. Since I've already downgraded Dalloyau to just Superb, which I've visited quite enough for, they'll just have to put one of the several great cakes that haven't been available back in the line up to get me to return, though I'll probably be back for pastries, because theirs are great, and I've never even tried their breads.

At noon, I went up to visit Trianon near Okubo Station: note to myself, never jog past Okubo Station; what a mess on a narrow sidewalk (it's the Korean shopping district). Trianon is on my list of places visited by Sweet Sonobe that I should give a chance, but I haven't gotten to it yet because I only was considering the main store, which is 15 km out (but open to 9 p.m., so doable on a weekday). It has a lot of pretty old-time Japanese Western-style cakes and reminded me of a lot of shops in Kobe (and not the good ones). Still, there were some cakes that looked like they had the possibility if being good and it's possible that they've survived 57 years for a reason, so I expect it to be my next new shop to visit. That was about another 6 km of running/walking at various speeds before stopping to order myself a new bicycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment