Wednesday, January 4, 2017

L'atelier Motozo: Monte Bianco Giapponese


Today was a company holiday, so I went to a new shop outside my normal weekday range (since Au Bon Vieux Temps is closed according to their usually weekly schedule), L'atlerier Motozo, which Sweet Sonobe mentioned. I didn't actually look back at his post, but he claimed the specialty as the Monte Bianco (or at least the specialty of the chef, who moved from shop that closed), which is a rational version (the cream is on top of the chestnut paste, not the reverse) of a mont-blanc. Actually, I got a modification of that, the Monte Bianco Giapponese (モンテビアンコジャッポネーゼ, 810 yen), which uses Japanese chestnuts, perhaps because I'm a cake snob. The cake was excellent, though not that different from other mont-blanc, which is a fairly simple cake, mostly. The meringue base, which has some chocolate in it, I think, is a flat disk, in keeping with all their few cakes being mainly tarts. There was an eat-in counter (as well as a bar, though I'm not sure whether and when that's used), but it was a reasonably nice day and it's next to Meguro River, so I ate at a bench outside.

L'atelier Motozo

The runs to and from there were 7 km each, in north of Meiji Gingu and out through Omotesando. Both were on the low side of 11 km/h. I came back through Omotesando because I want to stop at the renovated Pierre Hermé (photo failure). They've added a casual counter on the first floor and sell fancy pastries and apparently coffee (didn't see a menu, just the big machine). I tried the Bostock (ボストック, 432 yen), which was good but I'm still searching for double baked versions.


No comments:

Post a Comment