Sunday, December 24, 2017

Christa; Chocolate Crunch?

Friday, continuing on Thursday's work, I worked on doing reverse-direction runs of Naitoumachi, Sadagaya 5, and Shinjuku 4 loops. I also checked out the Kitasandofureai Public Park in case I wanted to change to route to coming in through the back rather than loop around on the main roads to just run by the front and decided that the back stairs were too dark to run at night (there is a drive next to them, but that seems too private). It was short run, just a little over 40 minutes, but it was a run without cake and I did not want to get too tired before Saturday.

Saturday, I planned a cake-off, starting with a run out to 14 Juillet in the Shin Marunouchi Bld., but they did not have the cake and I wanted, instead having a lot of Christmas-themed cakes, which did not surprise me. I verified that Toshi Yoroizuka was the same, finished 1 hour of running and then walked another two or three hours, getting pictures for landmarks on my planned maps and confirming some parts of the routes. I hadn't planned to be out long, so I didn't have any snacks with me. Since cake-offs seem to off for the rest of the year, I decided to try Christa in Koujimachi. I got Chocolate something, which I'm going to call Chocolate Crunch, since which might be correct, since "crunch" was the word used on the card. This also was a special Christmas cake, so may not be representative, although was a pretty standard chocolate mousse with crème brûlée center and a layer of "crunch" above a thin cake base. It was simple but the chocolate (a blend of Colombian, Brazilian, and I can't remember where's) was good. Not sure why the cake left a sort of smokey aftertaste. Might not have been it's fault, since I passed people smoking to get out of the park. Still in the process of adding photos, but my impression is that the course through Akasaka is going to take time to learn.

Later, I also got an Escargot Chocolate Pistache from Ritual at Isetan, where Origines Cacao had stopped selling individual cakes. I stop by the 26th to see whether those cakes return for the last day at Isetan, but I'm not excepting so. The pastry was just good and I'm thinking that pastries are more sensitive to time of purchase than most cakes, so I'll have an excuse to experiment with timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment