Sunday, December 17, 2017

Jean-Paul Hévin: Bûchette O'clock

As planned, I did a long (~35 km) run through the 7 neighborhood courses that I had been practicing/revising so far. Through no special effort (as I haven't memorized any distance points), I at least averaged my target speed, which was 8 km/h. I was very satisfied with this experience, compared to running long main roads deep into the suburbs for the same distance, though now I want to decompose all the courses into their constituent loops and links and further simplify where I can. I'll give up avoiding overlapping and instead try to stick to what I think are the best roads for the goal. On the way, besides a couple packets of cookies, I got a yeast croissant from Heart Bread Antique, which opened my eyes to their maybe be split between bread croissants and pastry croissants, which is also probably true of other breads/pastries. Not sure whether it is worth making a distinction, but I'm after pastries. Still, this croissant was good and they definitely have other things that I'm willing to call pastries, so I'm expanding the corresponding map to include it (obviously, I did that already just before running, but I still hadn't added an icon).

The cake of the day, after I got back, was Bûchette O'clock from Jean-Paul Hévin, part of the their week-before-Christmas lineup. They had something like this last year that I only noticed on the last time and had time for one, which I had thought was excellent, but this one, while good, wasn't special to me. It's bergamot orange biscuit, yuzu chiboust, raspberry compote, and Madagascar cacao mousse. There's also lots of decorative chocolate, but the cake was a little soft and bland for me and the decorative chocolate did not really add the right texture element to balance it. Maybe I didn't eat it right or maybe fancy cake isn't what I want after a long run (though I ate a normal lunch first). Anyway, it's JPH, which is my top priority, so I'll make a point to get to the other cakes regardless and see whether they work better for me. In the meantime, I need to work on updating my old neighborhood area maps and trying on the next. When I get it up to 50+ km total, I'l maybe try another long run over the set.

No comments:

Post a Comment