Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Jean-Paul Hévin: Bûchette Gatsby

Monday I tried a second cake from the Jean-Paul Hévin special Christmas series, Bûchette Gatsby, which is baked flour-less chocolate biscuit, vanilla chiboust, and mild 68% chocolate mousse. This time, I ate the cake turned on its side and it was great. Of course, the greatness might depend on other things, but one issue with this much decorative chocolate on a cake is the shape of the fragments when eaten, which cutting laterally rather than vertically makes a big difference too. (Note that the tongue interprets bumpiness as bitter, I think). I hope to have similar luck on number three on Wednesday. I have a lot of time-limit cakes I'm trying to get to, so I still haven't gotten back to my last cake-off winner. That will probably not happen until next week.

For running, I went down (by the shortest route) to a connector in my neighborhood map (under heavy revision) between the SW Aoyama part and the SE Aoyama part and then did the one loop. Originally, a loop around the Ginjuu Stadium would have have been included with this, but the bridge is out, so that part remains cut off (and it's connected by a bridge, so in the revised version, it would be considered a a separate course). Anyway, I needed to look at my map during this first run, but it's a very simple route, simple street pattern, and familiar area, so I don't expect to have to practice it much.

Monday I went to P. Shima again and got their Croissant and their Pain aux Raisins. Unfortunately, I did not think about how cold it would be (I'm used to cake, where I want it cold), so I didn't really eat them under optimal conditions. I'll need to standardize things, perhaps, and redo all reviews to be serious about pastries. I'll mention that I got two not because I was feeling greedy, but because I was cheap: 260 yen pastry become two for 400 yen after 6 pm, so I got both this week's pastries. I'll maybe bake at home on Friday, if I need something. I ran on nearby bits of neighborhoods around Akasaka and found flaws and that there is a Ginza Cozy Corner that I hadn't noticed (not at all recommended, but I ought to include it on the map and route and so sample and post about it eventually, unfortunately).

No comments:

Post a Comment