Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Toshi Yoroizuka: Monsieur Kitano

After a couple-day cake-fast, I ran to Midtown Toshi Yoroizuka and they had a pretty good selection, including maybe three new cakes that I wouldn't mind trying. One was a chocolate mousse dome, Monsieur Kitano, which I took as a challenge, because these always look delicious but rarely are. This one was. Although it reflects a certain chocolate bias, a strong desire to recognize new great cakes after a poor showing last month, and appreciation of success where others have failed, this cake deserves to be eaten again, and that's what I call great. Note, I ate it coming straight from the cool box, or whatever that special programmable drawer next to the ice drawn was set on, and the ice pack from the shop was still in the box with the cake and frozen. The cream filling part was seasoned with Hanasanshou (Japanese pepper flower). There was also pink pepper involved in this cake, although the pepper was too subtle for me (I shouldn't have used hot pepper in my dinner right before). Rather than a weird biscuit or nut cluster in the middle (though there was a little nuts in the cake), there was a solid disk of chocolate to support the mousse and cream, and you can see there's a hard cookie-biscuit-type base, all good, so I approve the construction. 

Running was just a little over 6 km at just under 9 km/h, which is pretty good, given that I'm sore from yesterday and the sidewalk is narrow and a little crowded leading up to Midtown.

No comments:

Post a Comment