Sunday, December 27, 2015

Nihonbashi-Honjo-Fukugawa and Ohoribata H&Cs, Viron: Gateau Chocolat

Did an estimated 40.0 km today, so with 36 km yesterday, I think, it was a full weekend. Total running time for today is estimated at 4:07'58''.

First note: Paul's at Yotsuya Station (i) is not actually open at 7:30, at least this Sunday, and (ii) had a huge 20+ person line at 7:55, so I didn't stick around to get something for breakfast, but continued on to the beginning of the Hihonbashi-Honjo-Fukugawa History and Culture course (which I may need to abbreviate as a label). The 5 parts of the route are about 10.8 km, but since it forks where part 2 meets parts 3&4 and part 5, the effective length of running the whole thing in order (and doubling back over parts 3&4 rather than taking a shortcut) is 14.3 km, at least if you don't miss a turn toward the end and add another 800 m, which I did. My time was 1:32', which is fine. Usually I don't stop for food on the actual H&C course, but I did during the double-back and got a fresh cinnamon bun from a Little Mermaid that was delicious.

Once I finished this H&C route (which I liked quite a bit), since it was just 2 km away, I went to the end of the Ohoribata H&C course and ran it in reverse, which is my plan for any future runs on that course because the regular running direction is opposite the H&C course's and there are some narrow parts even where the course is not specifically marked as one-way (west half of north side). Of course, the H&C courses aren't meant to be run fast: the symbol that marks them is a snail. I often run against the regular running direction when I'm running to home with cake (as I did today), since the other side of the street along the south edge is quite unsafe due to traffic behavior, but I usually get off at the southwest corner, or at the latest in the middle of the west side at Shinjuku Dori/Street, which is before it gets narrow. My time for the reverse run on Ohoribata was 34'27'', as I was running pretty fast (this was during my third hour of running, so I was well warmed up).

From there, I went to the Viron in Marunouchi, as planned. I got the Gateau Chocolat and a Kouign Aman (or however they spelled it there) and ate the later immediately: it was quite delicious, but not cheap at 380 yen. The cake was 500 yen, and it almost seemed an unfair choice (in evaluating Viron), because it looked more like a bakery good, and they are a brasserie (sorry, this shop is a brasserie, but I meant a boulangerie---can't keep my French straight) more than a patisserie.

I went home and dropped off my cake and then did a round trip to the Shinjuku Post Office to mail a late Christmas card (they are open 24/7 and I don't know anywhere else to get exact postage for international letters). As a matter of disclosure, I got a raspberry, chocolate, white chocolate muffin (which I ate already, and it was good) and some sesame bread at Andersen in Isetan (40 km means 3 snacks and 1 cake, and the bread is for dinner and lunch(es) this week, if it lasts long enough).

Viron: Gateau Chocolat
Actually, the Gateau Chocolat was great. It was really dense and smooth, while being uniform and not fudgy. I assume that it's not baked, but I only have brownie-making experience myself. Since I've gotten up to 6 posted cakes from each of the places that I've designated "Great" on the map, my goal is to get all the "Worthy" (of interest) ones up to at least 2, but this great cake means Viron deserves an earlier next visit, since maybe they are an overlooked "Great" place (although I've had a/the few other cakes prior to starting blogging, so I'm thinking probably not).

The H&C courses so far have been fairly close, but I'm working my way outward. The farthest, which I haven't even added to the map yet (I've got three more, I think), starts at the foot of Takao Mt. but comes back toward central Tokyo rather than climbing the mountain. Even so, it would be about a 100 km round trip. I suspect that I'll hit my limit before then, since the next farthest course is longer and branching, so it might not be much different in required running distance, and even the next two would test my limits. Still several to go before then, though, and next weekend will probably be busy with other things, so it may be more than a week before the next long run. Fortunately, the days are getting longer again.

No comments:

Post a Comment