Sunday, December 20, 2015

33.4 km. Meguro-Den'enchofu H&C: Origines Cacao

Today's run was on the Meguro-Den'enchofu History and Culture route. Actually, I started at the new route start point, whereas my map is for the old map, as best I can figure, so I timed maybe a few tens of meters less of route, but since I spent 1.05 km in double-backs this time due to differences between the new and old maps, it's not a big issue. Next time (and I like this route, both for running and for where it takes me, quite a bit, so I expect a next time), I'll check out the marker at Meguro Station that I spotted with Google Street View and see where both today's route and the route from yesterday should go if I follow the old route shown on markers, which is my preference. I also used Street View to find a marker that I missed on today's run, and I could even see why I missed it: the shop in front of it likes to put out banners that would block the view coming up to it on the route.

Total run breaks down into 7 km to get to the start point, 11.9 km for the route itself (see above comment about approximately 1 km more in deviations), and 14.5 km back by way of Origines Cacao and Cuoca (a baking supply store on the first floor of the same building). Times for the three parts were 45'45'', 1:25'46'', and 1:39'47'' for a total of 3:51'18''. Given yesterday's run, the times seem okay. The first part was also slow because I didn't want to press it anyway before I got to a main route that I'm keeping track of the best time for, and the last part, besides cake, I had 1 kg of powdered sugar in my backpack, so I was additionally motivated to take it easy and not mess up my back again. 

It was colder today and I started earlier, so I put on a heavier windbreaker and wore thicker gloves (gloves that I had forgotten about). 

With yesterday's run, I estimate that I did just short of 74 km for Saturday and Sunday, which is a personal record. The right knee seemed to be the weak point again, although it held together. Actually, it's probably not the knee's fault. I'm doing more stretching of my legs, especially the right side, and now my feet (it's not really the running that seems to be the problem there initially, but the business shoes: I've got to make sure I exercise more my toe and foot muscles, as well as stretch my Achilles tendon). I guess next would be either 55 km in one day or break 80 km in two days, although I won't try the latter if I do the former. Unfortunately, next weekend I scheduled the gas company inspection for 3 pm Saturday, so I have to plan around that. Also, Wed. is a holiday (Japanese emperor's birthday), so balancing out my running is more complicated this week. Maybe I'll run again tomorrow night, skip Tue night, run moderately Wed and Thu, skip Fri, and get up early for a long run Saturday to some distant H&C route. 


Origines Cacao: Lyonnaise
On to cake: today's cake from Origines Cacao was Lyonnaise for 497 yen. This was very good. According to the description, it's chocolate mousse and raspberry ganache and mousse. I'm not sure how the last "mousse" works in, but there visible raspberry in the center, and also the bottom mousse layers seemed to have raspberry in it (raspberry flavor lingers, so it's hard to tell). As I said, it is very good, for a pile of mousse, which is very different from yesterday's cake. Also, I read the card on the Quiza that made me put Origines Cacao on review for its greatness designation, and it explained that the flavor was light intentionally, which was supposed to make the aftertaste more refreshing; maybe I should give it another try some time, but I've probably got enough great cakes recorded that I won't get around to that anytime soon.

The snack of the day (it's a long run) was a Kouign Amann (no picture) for 320 yen from Paris S'éveille. A huge tray had just been put out at, apparently (since they were warm and it was full), so it's worth knowing that this was just before 10:51, because this was so delicious: a flaky pastry around a still warn and soft lump of butter and sugar. It really hit the spot about 20 km in, although maybe just slight heavy for running.

No comments:

Post a Comment