Sunday, June 10, 2018

Pierre Marcolini: Éclair Saison (Passion Fruit)

Went to Ginza Mitsukoshi to finally get the choux cream from Frédéric Cassel, just to get ahead or not get behind on the top shop with available new cakes while I work on catching up excellent shops to 5 cakes each and  digging deeper in the line-ups of shops that might deserve up-grades (which includes one of the previous category that did well, Ryoura). Unfortunately, they were sold out of that item, maybe because of a SMS post of a similar item and it being a Friday night, when one is always lucky to find anything. Of course they had other cakes I hadn't sampled, but nothing I was particularly interested in, so, after verifying that Origines Cacao at Ginza 6 still has none of the great cakes of a few years ago, I went with finally visiting a new shop, Pierre Marcolini, which in Tokyo only has something cake-like at their Ginza mother store (they are a chocolate brand, but mostly use ice cream as bait at their shops/counters). I wanted to visit here because of their visit to Isetan (I waited to long to try to buy an éclair there, and they had switched to less perishable items).

I'm calling this Éclair Saison (Passion Fruit), which is slightly different from Éclair Passion Fruit (shown elsewhere online) in having macaron shells and white chocolate disks; no complaint here. Actually the filling base is white chocolate too, which makes sense for a chocolate shop. Interestingly, they rang this up with a 6 yen discount to round it down to the nearest 10s/50s/250s. This was definitely excellent. Maybe I should always choose fruit flavors when it comes to éclair (I choose it over pineapple and coconut, which was the only other flavor left that time of night, whereas they've been completely sold out the other time I went, to verify their location), though I suspect the choice of white chocolate over some sort of custard cream as the base filling is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment