Saturday, June 23, 2018

Bien-être, Chou à la Crème

Thursday, I went to F. Cassel again, but again failed to find their Chou à la Crème and settled for a ninth pastry from Dalloyau, this time the Danish/Pastry à la Crème (I need to go back to figure out which it was in the Latin character version of the name), which had the Japanese name Custard Danish, I think. This is quite substatial, more than many cakes. From the beginning, there was no doubt that it was good quality, but I wasn't actually that interested in eating so much custard, so it was a slog by halfway through, as it's a big pastry (sorry, no sense of scale in the picture, but I would say that it was a little wider than my hand is) and the custard was almost 2 cm thick. And yet, because there was so much of it, in the end, I had to concede that this was excellent and that the custard was excellent and distinctive from custard that one would find in, for example, a Chou à la Crème. Fitting for a pastry, this custard had a buttery or butterscotch accent. So, I seem to be learning to respect custard more.



On that note, on Friday, when I went to Bien-être for cake (an iffy proposition anywhere after work on a Friday), I chose the Chou à la Crème over the melon (?) shortcake. In keeping with counting this as cake, I eat pieces after cutting it with a sharp knife (which makes a different for the texture). And this was also excellent, with its different kind of pastry crust and different kind of custard than the previous day (also smaller and cheaper).

No comments:

Post a Comment