Saturday, March 17, 2018

Cake-off: Jean-Paul Hévin's Violette over Paris S'éveille's Le Suprême

Did a run over to my new Hatsudai-Yoyogi-Tomogaya loop to find the kilometer marks that I had set for myself and take a few pictures where I hadn't yet, including a temple that I knew about but hadn't followed the path back to. Unfortunately, I just found another temple that should have been on the route, which changes it. On the plus side, the recalculation seemed to indicate that I had messed up the involved measurement, since the distance should have gotten larger but got smaller. Still, only a 50 meter difference and I haven't actually got the route memorized yet, so plenty of time to shift the kilometer markers. Note sure whether I'm going to be ready for 30 km on the course on Wednesday, which seemed a possibility before.

Started at 7:45 and around 9:15 headed for Paris S'éveille to get Le Suprême. Judging from what I saw, today a big day for nursery school graduation ceremonies.

Note a huge line at Paris S'éveille but they were busy enough, so it took maybe 10 minutes. At Jean-Paul Hévin's at Isetan, the wait was longer. Men are still buying chocolate for White Day, apparently (and there are still special sets). Eventually I got Violette (same as last weekend). I'll admit, this was too much chocolate mousse for one sitting, or maybe just lately in general, though not the first time for that in a cake-off. Next week's planned JPH cake is maybe a little less moussy and the intended opponent (unless another great cake turns up in the next week), is a cheesecake, so it won't be comparison of similars. This time's cakes were vary similar, with the main difference being a change in the fruit providing the accent, cassis (currant) for Violette and blackberry for Le Suprême. I still think that these are both great. Maybe Le Suprême should win for being more different from the crowd, but there's perhaps a reason that cassis is a commonly used flavor, because I felt that it complemented the chocolate better, so I have to give the win to Violette again. Eventually, all the cakes in the top bracket are going to be JPH ones and I'll have to start comparing them to each, but I'll deal with that if and when it happens (I'll be limited to what's in season at the same time, though that's always true).

No comments:

Post a Comment