Thursday, March 29, 2018

Cake-off: Rue de Passy's Opera Pistache over Jean-Paul Hévin's Salomé

Still not happy with my left foot (though it's not worse or as bad as last Monday), but I'll be resting from running for a few days. Wednesday night, I managed to get the Yoyogi Park Stn. area before 7 pm, but Donkey closed early (didn't read the handwritten sign on the door closely to find out why), Path said no take-out (I should have asked whether that was true just that evening, every evening, or all the time, but I was in a hurry to move on), and 15 degC looked like the closest they sell to pastries are muffins (I also checked in at fraoula, just to see what they might have, but they weren't open either). I wasn't really expecting to be in time to get anything there anyway, so I went with the original plan and got something at Toukyuu Dept. Store from Deux Magots Paris, Ringo Kouign Amann, which was definitely good and my idea of a pastry, but I don't need fruit in my Kouign Amann.

Thursday morning, I did a run down to P. Rue de Passy to get Pistache Opera (or at least that's how I've blogged it previously, but I thought in the shop that it was Opera Pistache, which does use the Japanese phonetics for the latter on their blog) as a match for another seasonal Jean-Paul Hévin cake, Salomé. This is a second-round cake-off, both having won their first rounds. These both have chocolate but otherwise are opposite, which may or may not be good for cake-offs (I used to try harder to match up likes, but not so much recently). The opera is very heavy and nutty, obviously, and the Salomé is very light, with the vanilla mousse dominating and being chiboust-like. Maybe as usual, I regret not eating this a little slower, savoring each bite more, as it's a little subtle. Today, though, I went with the heavy opera as the winner, which reminded me of cakes I associate with Germany and parts east rather than France, so I guess I'll be making another trip to Passy de Rue for a new cake soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment