Thursday, March 8, 2018

Sadaharu Aoki: Matcha Azuki

Having failed yesterday with Dalloyau, I went to Sadaharu Aoki for a new cake, the Matcha Azuki, which follows the pattern of Sadaharu Aoki's praliné cakes with both matcha (powered green tea) and azuki, a type of beans used in traditional Japanese sweets, as well as chocolate ganache.

It was raining today, in fact all day and will continue tomorrow, but was pretty light at the beginning and is coming with a warm air (tomorrow with be 10 degC warmer than today), so it wasn't too bad. I ran down to confirm that Pierre Gagnaire does have pastries, should I should get one some time, but not their Tarte au Chocolat still, after about a year, and that I can't take a shortcut I mentioned yesterday regarding a pedestrian bridge in east, as the entrance for Saikouji is at the south end. Now if I can figure out where the entrance is to Dougenji: I need to shift my route to catch that temple, though I'm running beside it and can see the graveyard.

The Match Azuki was excellent, especially considering my expectations. I consider at the end designating it great, as it was certainly the best azuki cake I've had, but decided ultimately that would be too far. Now I'm more sure, as the azuki as a stronger aftertaste than other components, which I don't appreciate. As full disclosure, I should say that I've actually had this before, maybe 4 years ago, before I started blogging, though not a full piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment