Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Foundry: Miyazaki Kumquat Cheese Tart

Went to Ginza Mitsukoshi again, running a little slower than yesterday but working on stretching my right ankle and getting good contact on my right sole so that hopefully I don't have problems with any part of that foot, eventually. My aim was to finally get a  new cake from Dalloyau for their (not so recent) cake-off win and I resolved even to take the Cheese Brulée (which is a small cheese tart that I had previously passed on), but they did not even have that. My back-up was a first cake from Foundry, which didn't look especially interesting to me and isn't somewhere that I've had any recommendations about, but they do have a shop more or less on my neighborhood course map (since I can get to Toukyuu), so I feel obligated to give them a try. I went with what I think was the Miyazaki Kumquat Cheese Tart (their web page is fairly limited as far as selection). It's definitely kumquat cake and looks like cheese, though not really any taste to confirm that. I hadn't looked closely, I just was trying to avoid the shortcakes (this place specializes in brand fruit, which is not my thing), but actually this has layers of sponge between whatever the cheese layers are rather than rare cheesecake throughout.

Running back, the box was relative large and heavy, so I only ran some of the course, though I took the outside track, so to speak, rather than run against the current on the moat course. Heavy ran is predicted for tomorrow night anyway, so I stopped one day early to replenish my supply of grocery essentials (mainly tofu and yogurt) and lugged those back as well.

Well, the cake was not as good even as I had hoped (partially my fault for expecting rare cheesecake without sponge). The fruit taste was fine, and I'm going to say that the cake is good for what it is, but what it is is not something that I need. I should have gone for the shortcake, since whipped cream would probably have had more taste than the "cheese" layers of this. I'll also say that I don't cake for this type of tart crust, which is just flaky enough not to be too brittle but not enough for me to call it a pastry crust. It's probably reasonable for these huge tarts, structurally, but that's just another reason for me not to trust slices of huge tarts versus individual tartlets.

No comments:

Post a Comment