Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Bien-etre: Chiboust au Pistache

Despite foot problems last night, things seemed better today. Need to get that balance between being too stiff and maybe spraining my ankle trying to stretch, I guess. I ran 5+ km each way to Bien-etre at 8+ km/h. It was a good run in that it made me feel better about my ability to run and my ability to enjoy running.

This was my fourth cake from Bien-etre, as I try to get all 18 shops in my Excellent shop list up to four cakes (there are several at three, all ones I can get too on a workday, if I want to). My goal is to have 16, so I'd like to demote one and promote one. I ate in, as I've done before, since they have a reasonable amount of space. There were even two other customers eating in. I went with the Chiboust au Pistache (a.k.a. Pistachio & Grapefruit Chiboust), because I've never seen a pistachio chiboust before, I want to like pistachio (though I'm often disappointed), and I usually have good luck with chibousts. Their cakes always have a sort of rough almost homemade feel, which usually is a bad sign but works for them. This one had a big tart base with pineapple mixed in with the filling (sorry, it's mostly hidden by the paper, though you can see some grapefruit on top) and then a thick chiboust layer, in which the pistachio was not a strong taste, but it did not need to be (and maybe can't because, because chiboust is so light). It was all good, and I'm to say it was great, even if I'm not totally confident that I won't be less impressed the next time, like I was with last weekends cake-off contestants, and that's fine. I certainly enjoyed this cake more than my weekend cakes, so it deserves some recognition.

Now that I've recovered my faith in running and my faith that I have not lost my taste for cake, so that even just Excellent shops cane impress me sometimes, I think I'll take a day off from both cake and running tomorrow, just to get some things done around the house, since I never have time for most things, like most people.

No comments:

Post a Comment