Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Clair de Lune: Dalcey

Backstreet northeast of central Tokyo.
 Just people's houses.
In reviewing Excellent shops and bring them up to 4 fresh cakes each, I finally got to P. Clair de Lune, which is 8+ km away. Used Runtastic for the distance and route and had the first failure: it stopped recording the route near the end of the outbound trip, although it kept counting the time. It seemed to have the distance about right, though, for what it recorded. I was around 9+ km/h going out and 9- km/h coming back, so it averaged out. I chose to get take-out rather than eat in (the eat-in space is pretty cramped, so it's not very attractive at night and the rain took another night off, though the next incoming hurricane is going to keep it coming back for the next week). On the way back, I took some back streets of part of it for the usual reason of not waiting at the first light to get down to my preferred east-west road right away, Kuramaebashi-douri (I don't like the nearest big round from the shop, because it crosses the JR lines in a very busy area, in terms of pedestrians).

The cake was the Dalcey (I avoided the temptation of getting the St.-Marc this one time). It's a mousse cake of caramel and passion fruit. Either flavor can be overpowering but were reasonably mild in this case and harmonized well. Also the texture was very nice, so I'm calling this excellent. Related to recent concerns about temperature, I actually ate this straight from coming home without refrigerating it, so maybe I should give up trying to figure out what optimal conditions are.

Excellent was actually high enough that I decided to swap this shop into the Quite Excellent group, taking out Abricotier, which I've visited a lot, so I'll be back to Clair to Lune relatively soon. Now 3 of 8 Quite excellent shops are now new to the list, but they have so few cake that all their positions are pretty fragile.

No comments:

Post a Comment