Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Paris S'éveille: Un Dimanche à Paris

Did a run down to Paris S'éveille on this cold evening. My actual time (versus trying to measure just running time) was under 70 min, which was enough to get there before they closed, although they had only one the 3 fresh cakes that I'm aware of them having, and not my first choice. I got the Un Dimanche à Paris, which I avoided until now because it has chocolate, I think (reading the handwritten script on knee-level cards through glass is not something I want to do or really remember after a long run).

I had originally though I would run back, on the principle that I need to burn off some of those weekend calories, but though it would be stupid to weaken myself too much running long at night (the flu is bad this year year) and also that I'm worried about the affect on my arms of running long distances carrying cake, so I used the train to come back.

As it happens the cake was quite good. It's more caramel than chocolate and goes well with the pineapple and the coconut gave me no trouble (there was not really much that might have been coconut flakes, and that was in backed meringue, so not the same as raw coconut, which I don't want). This represented a different cake than my usual favorites, so I'm willing to say that it's great.

I also ran Monday to cover my mistakes in Akasaka from my last long run, which was only half as a long a run, but hillier. Jumping back, my run today, rather than my recent custom of going down the Jinguumae shopping street to cross through Omotesando, it occurred to me that my old route making a direct run south to Aoyama-dori was much more level and probably faster for that reason. I still shouldn't have crossed to the south side of the street until after Omotesando-dori, but I'll have to remember that for next time. For desert, I had gotten a Pain au Chocolat from Cacahouète at Isetan, and it was good, but it's hard to get very fresh pastries after work, even more than cake maybe, so I'm not sure whether I'll continue with the current habit. I might keep the pasties (two a week) and the running for them, but defer getting them until the weekend, when they are fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment