Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Juchheim Die Meister: "Butterfly fluttering in Spring"

Went to Isetan looking of cake from Sadaharu Aoki without expect to finding it, since their selection was small last time I looked, but actually it was down to zero today, as they are too busy selling chocolate to waste space on low-revenue items. I asked whether any other places have fresh cake and they claimed all the other stores do, which seems a little weird: why is only Isetan chocolate central now? My back-up was Juchheim Die Meister, also at Isetan. This is the only cake place there that I've never tried, though I've had some sort of Juchheim cake before that I  had a bad experience with.

For running, I had prepared some kilometer markers on my neighborhood map, wanting to try paced running. Today was just to learn the first 10 km and come back. Actually, I prepared 15 km but wimped out again. Also, I decided after making it to exclude the Sendagaya-Shinjuku link of Southwest Shinjuku loop, as these are clearly doomed by the impending (though long threatened) bypass between Shinjuku High School and Shinjuku Gyoen (Park).

Although it doesn't get me cake, I love running in Yotsuya. Lot fewer taxis than other neighborhoods I've made routes for, though also a lot of slopes and steps, even without the pedestrian bridges. I had to stop and double-check one kilometer marker and I was slightly off (a few houses) on at least one, but I could make 10 km pretty well. I think my goal for any distance should be to maintain 7 min/km, which get's me 8 km/h with 4 mins to spare for lost time, though that's not that much. Times were all time were under and a few were close to 6 min/km, so I'll try to run slower for a longer run (for the marked 10 km, I took 1 h 3.5 min). I swapped the heavy sweatsuit jacket for a thin running shirt today and was pretty cold for the first couple kilometers, which is about right to avoid being too hot latter at 5 degC. Still, it was little chilly, so I'll try another thin layer next time.

The cake was basically good, though too much decoration, so there seemed to be a sort of decoration chocolate (though it was not all chocolate) aftertaste. Could be my imagination, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and call it good, which is still better than I feared but not going to take me back soon. It's chocolate mousse with pistachio mousse and a little raspberry sauce inside. It only has a Japanese name, Haru ni mau chou, which I would translate as "Butterfly Fluttering in Spring".

No comments:

Post a Comment