Sunday, January 28, 2018

Neighborhood run, 62.6 km

Put together all my supposedly confirmed neighborhood runs and tried to run them in one day. Was late turning one place, which added a little, but it was planned as 62+ km. I had figured 8 hours, but I wasn't that fast, especially toward the end (though I could keep running, even up the many stairs), taking 8:23:23. I could have kept running, but I can't say that I was disappointed to stop, so I'll probably let this distance stand as a person record and try to enjoy running in some other way than trying a 100 km run next. I didn't damage anything, but it does not seem wise to be running down the streets too tired. At the very least, I don't need to run farther than I can keep up a 8 km/h pace, though I'm not sure how to make allowances for stairs. Tomorrow I'll rest, so I can consider it then.

For snacks, besides three calorie mate cookies (I had more in my bag) and a couple salt candies, I had two pasties (Friday and Monday's share) and one piece of cake.

The first pastry was a Raw Chocolate Tarte, I think (it's not list on their site), from Heart Bread Antique. This was really pretty much chocolate pudding in a tart shell, so it was not clearly more a pastry than a cake, but they are bakery, so pastry will do. This was definitely good and I appreciated at the time. This was maybe 3.5 hours in.

At around 6 hours, I got an Almond Croissant (again, long run, so I don't remember the actual name, and it's not included among the items listed on their site) from Aux Bacchanales, who are still in the pasty and bread business. The powered sugar was maybe too much (though I was okay with it), but this was also definitely good. It's baked with a thick crust that makes it seem almost deep fried to me, not so different from other ones I've had.

Finally, despite my long expectations, since they simply cake take-out places, I include Cozy Corner as a Patisserie rather than just a café. I got their Gateau Chocolat (correcting their spelling to make the phonetic Japanese name, as well as the obvious French basis). They also have what they call Chocolate Cake, which I assume is less chocolaty, if that's possible. My first reaction was that this was okay, because there were brief instances when I sense traditional American-style chocolate cake flavor amid the cream and it did not taste bad. Except, probably from whatever they used as decoration chocolate (I assume that coco butter was replaced by some homogenized vegetable oil so that it wouldn't melt, though I couldn't say that there was any actual chocolate in it) left a sickly sweet candy flavor that seems familiar but I can't identify. So this was just bad, which doesn't shock me. It's not vile, it's just bad if you've paid some attention to what constitute good cake, a least according to my tastes.

I noted Hi-Cacao Chocolate Stand, which at least has chocolate fondant, which may count as cake, though they are only by Omotesando temporarily before opening a shop in Daikanyama, which my neighborhood course doesn't reach to yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment