Saturday, January 27, 2018

Cake-off: Paris S'éveille's Théatre over Pierre Hermé's Carrément Chocolat

Did a slow run to Jiyugaoka, not wanting to strain anything before tomorrow's endurance run. Still, I took the time to swing by Bubó Barcelona and verify that they really have only the one type of pastry now, and down a proposed Shibuya--Minami-Aoyama link and the terminal loop, which seem fine, though I won't use them tomorrow. It's a sign of how slow I was going that it took over 1 hour running time to reach this park just under two stations away.

The purpose was to get cake for the first 2nd-round cake-off from the 1st-round winners group, Paris S'éveille's Théatre and Pierre Hermé's Carrément Chocolat. Those are both mainly straight chocolate cakes. Both have good quality chocolate and both have an upper milk chocolate mousse layer, I think, so it was difficult to choose between them. Paris S'éveille's has a denser cream/mousse bottom, so it needs a chocolate shell around it, whereas Pierre Hermé's has a chocolate biscuit/cake and chocolate icing/glaze holding it together. Paris S'éveille's also has a little crunch in it and a little praline or something on top. That accent and the closer balance between the layers worked maybe better for me, so I'm giving this match to Paris S'éveille, which reveals the same bias for cream and mousse over biscuit that I revealed in last weeks' match-up. My next cake-off or two will also be basically straight chocolate (either 1st-round of a recent pair or my top-priority 2nd-round cake that I failed on initially, both of which involve a Jean-Paul Hévin cake as the second cake, which is not too surprising, given the number of great chocolate cakes from them).


No comments:

Post a Comment