Saturday, April 16, 2016

Cycling to La Rose des Japonais: Pixy

As promised, I did not run, but I did go to a high-priority patisserie, La Rose des Japonais, that I had written "very good" on their card so I wanted to check out how they fell in terms of my current evaluations. It's a long trip, but because of my knee (and poor bicycle), I was not going fast. It took about half the time as running, which is about the best I can do, with everything factored in. Still, halfway there, I was wondering whether I was making a mistake, as the trouble spot (tendon, I think, under and on the outside of the left knee) starting tingling, but it never got very sensitive and didn't bother me on the way back (which may just been it was numbed, although it never really hurt).

I got their top cake, the Pixy, for 561 yen. It's pistachio nut mouse on the outside (also, some sort of nut clusters and a strawberry, both good) and custard (?) mixed with tiny pieces of strawberry and a thin layer of strawberry gelatin on the inside. The strawberry flavor, when I get to the custardy part, reminded me of pie or a flaky-crust tart filling, which is okay but not usually what I'm looking for. It was definitely good and might be excellent under the right conditions and for the right person. So I'll mark this shop as probably good on the map (and fix the shop name spelling) and not feel a need to visit again soon.


However, I still want to do the nearby Tokyo History and Culture Course, so I'll probably stop in and get something there, but I've plotted out a 60 km course (which crashed the map, so I just have to remember it for now) that would swing me back around west far enough to visit a possibly excellent to great shop, so I'll probably go for a pastry at La Rose des Japonais, if they have something of that sort--I can't remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment