Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Aux Bacchanales

Today's run was to Aux Bacchanales in Ginza, which I decided had been unfairly booted from the list of potentially great cake shops. Started out 3.5 km fast despite my left knee. Even if my left knee is not happy, I can go faster by increasing my pace, not my stride length. I took it slow the next 0.95 km to the Inner Moat because there was a hill and I can never make the main traffic lights anyway. Along the main part of the south stretch of the inner mode, I did 1.1 km at a moderate speed. Then I did 1.0 km at racing speed, first just to make the next light and then just to continue until I got to Yamanote Line. From there, I went to Aux Bacchanales, got my cake, and got home, which was another 5.5 km achieved at a moderate space by keeping my pace fast (at least outside Ginza), which carrying cake does not really interfere with, although being tired does. So about .9 very slow, 6.6 moderate, 3.5 fast, and 1.0 racing speed, for a total of 12.0 km, which isn't too bad, but I'm going to need more the next few days to keep my weekly total up.

The cake was a Fraisier au Citron Vert, which is a strawberry custard cake, with icing, flavored with lime, for 465 yen. I forgot/didn't bother to take the ice pack out when I put it in the refrigerator, so it got really cold, which might not have been good for it, but didn't stop me from enjoying it and made it easy to cut the icy strawberries all the way through. The cake part was so moist that it was not that different from the custard part, but I was fine with that. Also, very sweet, which also worked with what is a sort of standard cake (without the lime flavor, which I was not conscious of) and so could be boring. I am surprised to find this excellent, so I guess Aux Bacchanales remains in the running for great. The hard part will be to get more cake, since they don't have many types to begin with and they literally only had two pieces, and I was there fairly early for a workday. I'll have to make sure that I have a backup place next time I go, or conversely that I always check there first rather than someplace else in the area that I'm less worried about selling out.



No comments:

Post a Comment