Friday, April 29, 2016

Ces Jour: Opera Equateur

Today I cycled to P. Ces Jours and took the "chef"'s recommendation, the Opera Equateur for 486 yen. There was some confusion when I was ordering because the card was in front of a completely different cake, a mostly white one, so I was assumed the Kaoka chocolate was white (since the rest of the card that I had time to read just went on and on about how great and fruity it smelled ). The actual cake is a dark chocolate cake which I've read elsewhere has almond in the biscuit part, which makes sense. Couldn't smell anything outside in the strong wind (it blew over after this photo, but was saved by the fact that it is really dense and it landed flat on the far side, which still has it's plastic. Sometimes I thick really dense chocolate cake is really great, but in this case, even though it was definitely good, I guess I've had enough other good dense chocolate cake not to feel that it was exceptional. Still, it was a good, heavy chocolate cake and it wouldn't be out of place at a great shop, but it would still probably not be the cake that I remembered afterward (since presumably if they are a great shop, they have other things that I definitely think are great). So I'm taking P. Ces Jours gets a "good?" designation instead of an "excellent?" designation on the map.
I also stopped at La Saison Boulangerie because I am am greedy. I got a Chocolate Danish for 194 yen. This also was good.

So currently, I have 9 shops marked as being "great" and 39 marked as being "excellent", although one of those sells just more cookie-like mille feuille, three are bakeries with excellent bread or pastries, one is a cheesecake shop, one is a tea salon (no takeout), and one is a chocolate shops with a single fresh chocolate tart, which means that none of them are a priority for comparison, leaving 32 potentially excellent fresh (you are supposed to eat today) cake shops. All the ones due for another visit are within "running" distance (when I can run, or I can try night cycling, if it comes to that), so I'm thinking I should do new shops for weekends and holidays first and save the. However, I want great cake next, and I've only posted 7 cakes from Paris S'Eveille (plus two pastries), so I've talked myself into going there tomorrow (really, I want to visit Cuoca's chocolate selection and add to my 7.5 cm brioche form set, although I have 12 and I only used 10 to make pecan-pie tarts, which I baked too long or too hot, although still good).

No comments:

Post a Comment