Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Monday (holiday): baking at home

I prepared a run course, but slept in instead, which is fine: in general, I don't away sleep so well, so catching up is good and I found myself quite exhausted Monday. I completed the 14 cm peach rum custard tart, which was good but messy (thus, I was forced to eat all of it at once).


The other project was to try to follow my mother's cheese pie recipe exactly, which is a matching problem: cheese comes in 200 g, not 8 oz, evaporated milk comes in 170 ml, not 1/2 cup, and I use 14 cm tart forms instead of a whatever size the pie recipe calls for. At least the eggs match up reasonably well with the can of milk (3 eggs to 1 can). I can deal with leftover cheese more easily. As you can see, the confection oven is a little strong for them, even reducing the cook time 10%. I did not roll out the dough well and/or prepare enough dough, so the crusts had some gaps that leaked, so actually I not only wasted some fill but had leftover, so I've got two more in the oven now. And this time, I got the timing on the dough right (put the dough balls in the frig too long, but waited for them to soften on the counter to the right consistency to be able to roll them out well). However, this time I'm trying baking the crust together with the filling rather than double baking. I know that works with an oil crust, but these are butter crusts, with a lot more sugar (too much I decided, so I reduced from the minimum 30 g to 20 g). Anyway, I froze 3 1/2 of these and tried a piece of one, and it was good except that I thought to taste the cheese more, I needed to decrease the sugar.


No comments:

Post a Comment