Wednesday, July 22, 2015

12 km follow-the-signals run with cake from La Maison du Chocolat: L'Entremet Pralines

I decided to try going southwest from Aoyama Road toward Omotesando for a change. As expected it was more crowded but fairly manageable. Had a close brush with the rare female slave zombie, but avoided injury.

This took me past Chocolat Chic (which I've added to the map), which sounds like it should be good but they aren't that into chocolate and their cake isn't very good, in my experience. I actually stopped at La Maison du Chocolat for the first time. Really expensive: 810 yen for L'Entremet Pralines. This is seven layers. Despite the structure and look, the texture ends up similar to a typical American chocolate layer cake as far as high sugar frosting and moist cake. The praline was peanuts and hazelnuts and I have to say that peanuts just does not work for me in cake, although in general the cake seemed well made. Cleverly, they a lump of raspberry flavored ganache (I think it was ganache) while I was waiting, which was quite excellent, so obviously I should have gotten the raspberry cake. Since the sweetness of my cake suggests that it would be better with tea, I'll consider going back there when I'm not alone and visiting the upstairs salon.


The rest of the run made a figure eight, not really intentionally, just that's the way the lights were at the intersections and I went with them. I mapped it on the regular weekday map, for a change. 

Tomorrow is going to have to be homemade cake, to conserve resources. Fortunately, I have a lot of cheese tarts in the freezer. Of course, this means I'm tempted to buy sauces for toppings, which can be more expensive than cake, at least one for one. I'll try something simple and cheap first, though, like adding a layer of dark chocolate on top using a melted chocolate bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment