Thursday, July 30, 2015

9 km to Neues and Tokyo Midtown: Esterhazy Schnitten

I guess today's run was a little short, but still plenty hot. I stopped at Neues and got the Esterhazy Schnitten for 500 yen. Very good (but again, not on the on-line menu). The frosting was frosting sweet, so it would have been better with a drink, but this was in the middle of a run, so I didn't want to stop that long. Love this cafe, though. This is a kind of standard German (well, Hungarian) tort with spiced buttercream sandwiched between almond meringue dough (at least traditionally: this was a nutty cake, but not sure that it was meringue).

I stopped at Midtown to visit their nice grocery because I was interested in caramels for melting and topping my cheese pie with. I talked about caramel here previously but had not realized that the flavor I know as caramel is actually milk caramel ("caramels", as in the candy), or maybe caramel sauce, but full on caramel cooks all the water out, so that's probably why sometimes when I order caramel things they taste funny to me, because I'm only used the taste of sweetened caramelized milk. Found the same brand of milk caramels at Midtown as elsewhere for cheaper, so I went ahead and bought them. Don't know whether I'll have time today to experiment, but I'm thawing a pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment