Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Sadaharu Aoki: Savarin

Savarin (Sadaharu Aoki)
Tuesday, did a run out to Marunouchi to get cake from Sadaharu Aoki, the Savarin, which is there through November. I also visited the two Jean-Paul Hévins around there to see what was up. Next month will be waffles with chocolate at the Chocolate Bar.

It's hard for me to judge Savarin, because it's a little different from my usual thing, but it seemed excellent (and I did enjoy it). Certainly I would like to make it (given the time and knowledge), which is my definition of excellent.

Almond and Anzu Tart (Atelier de Mar)
Wednesday, I went out to practice the Hatagaya--Honmachi--Nishi-Shinjuku loop. You'll notice that Nishi-Shinjuku has been added back into the name, as I discovered that there was no reason for that to be in a separate loop. Unfortunately, my sense of the other parts of the course remain incomplete, so I'm going to have to practice more. On the plus side, I was surprised to notice that there is an Atelier de Mar on the north end of the Hatagaya shopping street, so I bought an Almond and Anzu Tart (anzu is the standard plum variety in Japan). It was a nice little pastry-type tart, which I will give the benefit of the doubt and call excellent, as a first pastry. I didn't see such tarts at the Hatsudai branch. There is also apparently a shop in Sasazuka, but I'm going to want to verify that on the ground before I adjust the running course around there. On their Twitter feed, they show lots of tarts, but I'm not sure which branch that is.


No comments:

Post a Comment