Sunday, October 21, 2018

Cake-off: Ryoura's Mont-Blanc over Toshi Yoroizuka's Antique

Friday was a no-cake day, but I went running to try to do the Kita-Aoyama--Jinguumae--Shibuya Loop. I tried looking in at the new Number Sugar in Sendagaya and found them open, with a line. I went in and bought two salt-flavored caramels. As a gift for being one of the first customers, I got a gift bag with another salt- and one ginger-flavored caramel. They all seemed good, and I ate them greedily later, but it's not looking like caramels are going to be a new passion of mine, even though they are enough of a step in the right direction from hard candy that I'll keep them on the neighborhood course map as landmarks. I failed to do the loop without needing to backtrack and consult my map. I hadn't remembered the new part by ShIbuichi Bakery well yet, thought that's partially because I don't remember the old part that it deviates from well. I'll try again Monday, maybe.

Saturday, I did a long run out first to P. Yu Sasage to verify that they still didn't have two great cakes there (they post to Facebook pretty often about their line-up changes, so I probably don't really need to check in person). On the way, I checked recent and upcoming neighborhood course to verify that a couple landmarks don't exist (the temple moved and the church wasn't listed on the outside of the building where they ware supposed to meet, so no landmark) and that some did, so I took several pictures and have added them to the map.

From there, I went down to Ryoura, my target for their (Western chestnut) Mont-Blanc. My feet were getting pretty sore, but I'm running a lot, I guess recently. Besides other problems, my right foot tends to swell, so I should have loosened my shoe earlier. I could see bright red lines the next day. I too the try back to Tokyo Midtown to get Antique from Toshi Yoroizuka (and look around again, though nothing new). With two cake and a sore foot, I took the train home, though that was still a lot of walking to keep within one train system. It had been three years since I had Antique, so I wasn't surprised to find that I wasn't feeling the greatness any more. It was the unusual combination, from the chocolate tart crust on the bottom to the fig on the top, that struck me as interesting before, no doubt, but that was not repeatable. The Mont-Blanc was still great. I think what makes it difficult is the vanilla flavor in the whipped cream, which maybe I'm more interested in than chestnut paste, so I'm probably not the best person to recommend cakes to someone who's favorite is mont-blancs. No picture, but for the 3rd year anniversary, they gave out canvas bags the right size for a least single-cake boxes, so I hope to use that. It's a little small, but it's more secure than plastic bags, which I get too many of (but tend to use for raw vegetables in the refrigerator and raw garbage).


No comments:

Post a Comment