Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Bien-être: Mille-feuille au Marron

Monday, I tried to practice the Kita-Aoyama--Jinguumae--Shibuya Loop. On the way, I planned to stop by the new Sendagaya Number Sugar but it was closed. So was Sun&Witch, but Bakery Cafe 426 Omotesando was back to being a cafe, so I got what was called a Vanilla Croissant. This was the least pastry-like croissant I've ever had. It was definitely bread, complete with a thick crust. It had some layering, but the thickest I've seen in a croissant. Inside was some vanilla custard. They definitely had real pastries there and the Vanilla Croissant was definitely good, so I'll probably buy there again soon. They have cake in glass containers; it's not verrine being called cake, but normal looking fancy cake put inside squarish glasses large enough that the cake does not touch the side or stick up over the top. The cake is for eat-in only.

While I'm talking about bread, let me mention that when I was riding Sunday through Uehara, I ran into bakery being run out what would have been a garage maybe on a short street between two other short streets, where everything else was residential. I bought a Noix Raisin, and it was excellent bread.



Noix Raisin
Back to the run, I wasn't confident through the west end but managed it without checking my map. Coming back up the east side, I had to turn back and try again after Jarat (I remembered how many streets to count, just I missed one the first time) and couldn't remember what to do after Rituel, so I had to resort to the map. I'd like to try again on Friday. I should really keep at it until the loop part at least is a familiar neighborhood. Also, I found another bakery cafe in Google Maps, so I'll be altering the southwest end anyway.  I should really confirm the location in person, but it doesn't radically alter the course, so I can do that when I try it the first time.

Tuesday, I had a table and Mille-feuille au Marron reserved at Bien-être. I had enough to take a long way that took me down some roads I've never been on, so maybe I'll recognize them if I get lost running a neighborhood course. Chestnuts suit custard mille-feuille well, as it turns out, not that I was worried, given the source. Like all their other mille-feuille, this was excellent and different enough not to be boring.



No comments:

Post a Comment