Saturday, November 3, 2018

Frédéric Cassel: Turin Chocolat

Thursday, I did a run to Bien-être for cake. Not sure what I got. It was not cake. I suggested "tart" and they countered something like "baked good", so the counter person didn't seem sure what it was either. It's a tart in shape. The crust is more like a quiche shell than a typical tart shell or sweet pastry shell, however, it was more like hard ribbon than flaky. The anme is Figue Pistache, which pretty much explains it. Except for the crust, which obviously wasn't working for me, it was definitely good, so I'll stick with good for a rating.

Friday, I ran to the Ginza Mitsukoshi for a third weekday cake (I'm counting Monday as cake, despite being a café dessert). There, I went for the older seasonal cake, the Turin Chocolat. This is also pretty self-explanatory: a chestnut and chocolate cake. Under the chocolated coating are two layers of mousse for chestnut and chocolate and a cake base which is fairly dense for this type of cake, like pound cake. It was satisfying. Chocolate and fig and fine together, tending to smooth out each other's flavors and produce a mild cake, which still was excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment