Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Paris S'éveille, Café Tonka

Despite the distance and difficulty, Tuesday I decided to run to Paris S'éveille at Jiyuugaoka (maybe some day they'll open a central Tokyo outlet, but so far they haven't felt the need), since they were next in priority on the list of places that might have something new. I arrived a little before 7:30 pm, which makes this perhaps my fastest run ever, though I wasn't going for a record. Resting from Monday probably really helped. It had been a while since I went there looking for new cake, since I've been occupied with other shops that I've promoted. They had six cakes available, but nothing new. However, rather than go with my backup Shuu (a café advertising cake that's on my neighborhood route for Shibuya but also has a shop in Jiyuugaoka and anyway is open quite late), I took the one cake I've long been deliberately avoiding: Café Tonka. I was optimistic that the coffee would not make me sick. They also let me eat in, though they had to ask someone in the back that was okay. No one else was eating in, though someone else seemed about to before I left. This is a thin, dense chocolate cake, a thick tonka chocolate cream/ganache (I think; I didn't actually check the card), and coffee flavored whipped cream on top, I figured in a worst cake, I could just scrape off the coffee whipped cream and tried a little corner without it first. As it happened, the whipped cream was no problem. Actually, though definitely coffee flavored, it was lighter than other things I've had recently and went fine with everything else. I don't have any difficult in saying that this was a definitely excellent cake.

On the way back, I stopped at Nikunohanamasa for chocolate, which I didn't buy, and mustard powder, which I bought more that I can imagine what I'll do with, but that was the size and it was cheap. I also bought a pack of nuts, so I had two items. I kept running, carrying them in a bag. Total, it was a 23.5 km run, which is pretty long for a mid-week run. With stops, I was out 3 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment