Thursday, July 13, 2017

Cake-off: Viron's "Mille-Feuille" over Jean-Paul Hévin's "Bergam"

Ran about 13 km. We can just assume any running is 8 km/h. At least, my tail was less sore running today now that I've changed my pre-run routine as of last night to remove the part that has be flat on my back. First, I went to Il Pleut sur la Seine, which was my mistake: I was thinking that I could get great Mille-Feuille, which is true, and that it could be part of a cake-off. However, it's not technically cake, according to the criteria which I should use, because it's eat-in only, so it's a café dessertCake-off.

But I still needed something to pair something with Viron's "Mille-Feuille", so I decided to finally do Jean-Paul Hévin's "Bergam" in the cake off. Both cakes are great, so it the decision came down to the end, but the Mille-Feuille remains the favorite version of the this standard type. The frosting on top is really important, I think, since I like the spike of sweetness beyond what custard and the mille-feuille pastry provides. However, just 30 minutes or so in the refrigerator was not enough for either cake: they need to be cooler, so I'll have to watch that for future cakes, especially in the summer, even though JPH cake only had to travel a couple kilometers and I ate in an air-conditioned room.


No comments:

Post a Comment