Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Il Pleut sur la Seine: Le Saint-Marc

Had a run down to Il Pleut sur la Seine in Daikanyama. It's about 5 km and outbound was 11 km/h, which is a little fast for the safety of pedestrians around Omotesando, but the patisserie/cafe/school closes at 19:30, so it's hard not to be in a hurry, and it is after all my target speed for general weekday cake runs.

The cake I got was Le (?) Saint-Marc (ラサンマルク; 616 yen), which is a standard cake. I've had cake from here more than once years ago but never found anything that I was thrilled with, more in terms of variety than quality. This time, as a bonus (maybe because they messed up my receipt; I didn't really understand the explanation) they gave me a couple of Sablé "Mimorettou" (サブレ・ミモレットゥ), which is a name only they use, but there's a link here explaining how it uses 12-month aged cheese and almonds. Presumably the cheese is Mimolette, so I should keep an eye out for that. This is sort of a salty, cheesy, almond cookie, which means I know someone who would really appreciate this, so maybe we should go down there together for cake and get some more. Certainly it was excellent, so I'm also keeping an eye out for a recipe, as well as the cheese.

The run back was 10 km/h, as planned. One nice thing about this shop is that they label their cakes (that's the green dot) and boxes so that you know what temperature to eat it at. In this case, they recommended 10 degC, so the whipped cream was the right consistency, which, they explained, means 10 minutes from the refrigerator. I followed this instruction, and it was great cake. Since this is mostly whipped cream (some chocolate), it can be light for me, but with the almond biscuits and caramel on top, it balanced out perfectly. Guess I'm going to have to get back there again next week (although I'm pre-warned that they are closed next Wednesday so as to be open on Valentines day). 

No comments:

Post a Comment