Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Running for speed, home-made custard tart

Updated the weekday map somewhat, but removed the courses, since it's too much trouble to keep it updated. Instead I labeled more relevant landmarks.
Did the 1325 m around Meiji Jinguu Gaien in 6 min 10 sec, which bests my times from last week but is still not so fast. (Did I do a mile in 6 minutes in high school, when I was running a lot?)
Went down to Neues, which had the usual stuff and not what I was looking for (or I need to review), and Libertable, which had the Dahlia that I had had before, so I updated the Libertable post, now that I've confirmed what I had. Coming back meant going around the Akasaka Palace loop. Sort of winged it through the area west of there, taking the hills and half looping back, then taking another slope. I ran over an hour total.
At Libertable, I got a very buttery bread with potato (didn't find pieces, so maybe the flour), for 291 yen, which is high for a tiny bread (it's about 10 cm across, maybe) but okay. It was good.

I didn't get cake for two reasons. One is this:
the second third of the custard in a shell (one of two baked, although I have the dough ready for a third). The shell was a success, in that it holds custard, but since it is butter, flour, sugar, and one egg, it basically tastes like butter. I ate half of this at lunch and the second half with cherries at dinner. A lot of cherries (the second reason), because every year the company gives us 1 kg of already ripe cherries (if you get them shipped, they'll already have turned by the time that you get them, so I pick them up at work). Questioning whether the money could be better spent on something else is not appreciated, so it's cherries every year from the same place; don't consider how it affects the end-of-fiscal-year bonus.

My plan had been to make a banana rum tart tonight, but it was a late work day, so maybe tomorrow. I could substitute cherries, but I want to try the recipe reasonably by the book at least once. Tomorrow is rough weather, although it should mostly pass by the evening. We'll see if running is possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment