Tuesday, June 16, 2015

10+ km to Takagi's: Arpajon

I added extra up-and-downs in Wakaba (Yotsuya) and twice on Sannou Hie Shrine (I was aiming to go up and come down the big front stairs but first ended up going up and down on the side once first), but here's the route that I had planned to follow. Looks like I went wrong at East Gaien Road halfway through the south leg. The first half was quite a work out, as was jogging up and down shrine steps, so I'll try it again the next time that I go that way, although I don't think that I can really cross the next main road where Google says I can. There are some shops further along Aoyama Road that I want to try some time (although I think I can find them elsewhere), so maybe I'll try that path in reverse. Tomorrow I need to rest (and get a package: wine), but I'll probably go over to Isetan and grab cake from Aoki or somewhere, which I haven't hit lately and is on the list of greats in my head. Thursday will depend on the rain. I'll take a cake rest then if I can't run.

Patisserie Takagi is convenient (on Aoyama Road), in terms of hours and time and has pretty good cake. I'm not sure whether it's great, but I appreciate it. Today I got the Arpajon for 605 yen, which is mostly bitter (not really so much) chocolate mousse with significant amounts of pistachio mousse and some raspberry mousse. It's got three kinds of nuts on top, which I appreciate, but is not enough to save it from being just enough chocolate mousse, which is all it's really trying to be. Some asymmetry in the chocolate spikes is due to breakage: I should bring my own bag next time, as theirs have too short a handles for good cake running. Had trouble with the camera again, apparently, but wasn't patient, so too late now. All my night photos were also fails: can't keep the camera steady enough for buildings and none of the settings for the view from the stop of the shrine stairs really gave good results.

The cake was okay, but too much mousse for me again. That's about what I expected, but it's their #1 seller (it's pretty, so no surprise; I hate when I ask a shop person what is good or what they recommend and they tell me what's the most popular, as if that proved anything) and I wanted to confirm what it's like and get Takagi listed in this blog, since they are at least on my list of ones that I want to run through their complete line-ups and compare, just I won't be needing this cake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment