Tuesday, June 2, 2015

12 km to Neues: unknown recommended cake

I ran 12 km, but otherwise, I ran into various problems. 

First, going by the Prime Minister's place added time, because I forgot that I needed to cross to the other side of the street, and there are a lot of lights anyway (though not streetlights: a little dark on the sidewalk). 

Then I got a little lost toward the end and got to Neues just after they had closed. Not that it was close to 11 pm, just they close whenever they want, apparently. The guy bringing in the sign made sure that I was looking for carry out and not dinner before letting me in. Another customer came in after me, also looking for cake and then a blond lady, although she left when she saw that they were sold out of almost all the bread, waving at the guy in the back kitchen area through the glass. 

I asked what the guy who let me in recommended, and there is it below (I may need a better camera than my iPod), whatever it is. It seems to be chocolate layers, probably with nut cream layers. There was a little texture like coconut in there, but it could have been chopped nuts: I should really dissect these more thoroughly, but I didn't see coconut. The cake was very good, but because they were closing, there was a guy behind me also buying cake, I was really tired, and it has some German name (or Austrian), I don't know what it was. Their webpage is here, but it's way out of date as far as cake that they actually had, and I could not find a picture of mine (at least not today's) at the Tabelog restaurant website.

Anyway, it was 480 yen, I think, and very good, as I wrote, so I'll go back there again (and update this on what it actually was), but I always need to keep in mind that they might decide to close early and be prepared to head over to nearby Tokyo Midtown, assuming that they are not closed yet (or I could go back to Libertable, who I passed going through Akasaka, and has expensive cakes and is open late, though the two cakes that I've tried so far, while very interesting, were not to my taste: Luxe, a chocolate black truffle cake, and Robuste, which has banana and passion, along with chocolate and nuts).

No comments:

Post a Comment