Sunday, May 5, 2019

Cake-off: Frédéric Cassel's Fraisier over Éclat des Jours' Cheminée

On the 9th day of GW, I did a cake-off. I missed the window on the seasonal Origines Cacao cake, but Frédéric Cassel still had their Fraisier so I did a third round of cakes that were 1-1. Next in the list was Éclat des Jours' Cheminée, which is conveniently on the same side of town. Usually I would go get the latter first, since it's farther away, but I wanted to double-check Origines Cacao, so I also confirmed Frédéric Cassel (since Ginza 6 does not have bicycle parking) and then decided that I might as well get the Fraisier first, since it also seemed like a more robust cake than the Cheminée anyway. It's warm now. I'm hoping I can recover enough by the time it's hot so that I can at least walk to cake shops and take the train back for cake-offs. In the photo, I was able to turn the less well preserved parts of the Cheminée toward the back. The Fraisier is a milder cake, but suited me today: pistachio cream accented by strawberries (which I don't hate). The Cheminée is a pretty strong fruity chocolate ganache (?), which I certainly like sometimes and still enjoyed today, but I'm not sure that I need to revisit on a yearly basis, so I'm questioning its need to be on the greats list. It's not going to get axed this year, but I am giving Fraisier the win, its second in a row. Now I'm really behind on visiting FC for new cake. I'd choose the chocolate and hazelnut mille-feuille, but it's weekend-only, so the window is closed. Still, I'm much further behind on Sadaharu Aoki, since they introduce new cakes much less frequently, so I'll probably get there first (the seasonal cakes were announced to end with GW, so maybe there will be something new on Tuesday).

No comments:

Post a Comment