Saturday, April 15, 2017

Toshi Yoroizuka Tokyo: Caramel Flambé

No running Saturday and café dessert rather than the usual fresh cake, but still worth mentioning, since this is a cake brand whose shops I've visited frequently and think are excellent. Their Tokyo Midtown shop is nearest, but this one is also convenient to many things and quite spacious. We each got the Grand Menu, which at 3000 yen was surprisingly cheap for this level of service, food, and atmosphere, although they were not so busy (the whole Kyobashi Station area was not that busy, though there were still plenty of people around, just not so many compared to nearby Tokyo Station or Ginza, I assume). The Grand Menu comprises three courses: the "side dish", which is chocolates, sauce, and fruit, a plate of strawberry risotto (not shown), and a main desert. I choose the Caramel Flambé. The other is gorgonzola and pistachio, I think, but I don't remember the name.

The chocolate plate was excellent. The sauces are raspberry and some citrus, that I did not catch the name, though they might not have been any more specific that that.

I didn't take a picture of the strawberry risotto, since it's pretty far from what I usually blog about and I don't photograph everything I eat, but I probably should have in this case, since it was also quite excellent, very creamy, and a unique experience that I recommend. On what to me is a trivial note but does relate to the quality through the direct attention of the proprietor,  apparently the one preparing the strawberry risotto in front of us (it's set up as a bar) was the Grand Patissier himself, Toshi Yoroizuka, who has celebrity status outside the culinary field from being a widower of an actress.

The Caramel Flambé was great, as well as being highly in keeping with my bias, which is why I choose it. The tart was pretty unstable once I cut into it, so I finished off the ice cream relatively early. Otherwise, it was a nice combination or caramel flavors, as well as being photogenic (this gets featured on advertisements), though the overlap between my tea cup and whatever those sheets sticking up out of the ice cream are has spoiled that part.

I won't try to judge the other dish, since I didn't have that much of it and it is mostly ice cream, which doesn't interest me much, but yet another example of the fine plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment