Tuesday, April 11, 2017

14 Juillet Tokyo: Albatross

It was raining all day, but at least in the evening was not the heaviest. Still, no other runners seen on the way, and I went by the moat course. On the way back, when I was running against the prevailing section, I saw one runner coming from it and then one person just before I left it (for a couple kilometer stretch), even though the rain was down to more of a mist and it wasn't that cold (though the wind was a problem. Still, it was slow running, averaging 9 km/h both ways (about 11 km total).

I'm miffed that 14 Juillet Tokyo did not give me a rain cover for my cake. Really? I have to ask? Where did they think I was going to go that it was not raining? Sure, I could have asked, but since I had a plastic bag in my pack for similar occasions, I wrapped the box in the bag and still tried to use the paper bag. It lasted until home, but it was pretty weak when I tested it afterward, so next time I'll just leave the paper bag after repacking.

I choose the Albatross (アルバトロス; 550 yen), a chocolate mousse cake flavored with cassis and orange, on the grounds that it was obviously one of their signature cakes, since they had large versions of it for multiple people and there was only one left, so some people think it is good. Popularity is not really a good judge, but as a third cake, I went with it. And the balance between the fruit and chocolate mousse was good. Actually, the fruit was a little runny rather than being gelatinous, though not in a bad way (there is probably a better word than runny). Couldn't really taste the orange (or the alcohol), but it was presumably there to achieve the right balance between fruit and chocolate rather than call attention to itself. I'll say this was excellent, where I'm considering it relative to other similar mousse cakes with fruit.

Also of note, their former neighbor Igrekplus got the boot, which is fine with me. Have to wait to see what it gets replaced with.

No comments:

Post a Comment