Sunday, April 9, 2017

Cake-off: JPH "Salomé" vs. PH "Tarte Infiniment Vanille"


Wanted to do a cake-off and as potential matches for Jean-Paul Hévin's Salomé, I went down to Jiyugaoka to see whether Origines Cacao or Dalloyau had something. It was raining and I was trying a new route, though through somewhat familiar areas, and I kept getting turning around (literally, reversing directions after looking at the map, although the first time was apparently wrong) so it took longer than it should have. I came up dry, figuratively, and heading back, tried to take the intended route. I managed some of it, but again became turned around and made almost a big loop back to most of the way where the new part started, so I ended up with about 30 km total, when it should have been maybe 24 or 25 km. Speed (if I calculated correctly, based on points where I know I was) averaged 9 km/h. I should have mentioned yesterday that I ran about 27 km, split between 9 km/h and 10 km/h, and that give me almost 131 km for the week, raw, or 104 km weighted in terms of 12 km/h. My 2-week budget limit will be what's limiting me going into Friday.

Went with the backup plan of getting both cake from Isetan, JPH's Salomé (seasonal) and Pierre Hermé's Tarte Infiniment Vanille (a standard). The Salomé is vanilla mousse with a balancing amount of chocolate mousse (that is, much less). This cake is subtle, to the point that I wondered how well I flagged it as great as I started with it. The Tarte is the opposite, very heavy, very strong vanilla (in white chocolate), and is my baseline for judging anything vanilla. In the end though, the more subtle Salomé won with me, even though both cakes are great (and so welcome relieve from a string of just good cakes since last Sunday).

No comments:

Post a Comment