Saturday, March 19, 2016

Definitely Excellent Tokyo cake shops and Kyunakasendo History and Culture course

Haven't been able to train because of a cold, so I didn't try increase my distance. Also, very slow. I had gone out early in the morning, as there was a pause in the raining and the weather report then was rain at 1 mm/h from noon to 6 pm (whereas <1 mm at 9). The heaviest rain was coming back, although naturally from 1 pm it's been dry.

I manged 7.62 of slow running to get to the start of the Kyunakasendo History and Culture course.

The first part is the Land of "Yukari" Yoshino Cherry Walk from Komagome Station through a winding  path around cemeteries to Koshinuka Station and then as the Itabashi Guest House Walk continues up the same road to Itabashihoncho Station. There was one confusing marker that I had to go back and check early on (it was rotated, so I misinterpreted its recommended route) and the main straight shot switches sides of the road a few times with no warning (there isn't really any mechanism in their system from crossing the road and continuing in the same direction, other than to put a marker on the other side of the road and hope people notice). Due to some doubling back, it as a very slow 6.67 km.

During the H&C course running, after the 1 hour mark of the today run, I stopped at a 7-11 for a Caramel & Crunch Donut, which is 317 kcal, 2.8 g protein, and 120 yen. This is a good donut. And a donut is cheap, convenient cake. So when I buy fresh cake, I want something better than a donut, something excellent, to feel that it was worth the money and effort.



I just got slower from there for the next 5.05 to French Pound House. I choose this because it is close to the route (which I followed back, at least the long straight bit) and I had had written that it was good but never posted about it. I chose L'automne, which is kabocha (pumpkin/squash) with almond clusters on top and layers of vanilla, caramel, and chocolate cream, for 395 yen + 8% tax. I ate in, so there was also Early Grey teat for 450 yen + tax. The cake was good, although the cake part was a little different, sort of pancake like, in being a little rubbery, in the sense of resisting my fork, but no taste or texture problems. The taste was fine (the kabocha taste seems to go fine with the others, although its contribution is subtle). As I said, the cake was only good, so I could as well have had another donut.



If the previous was super slow, the last 6.75 km home was ex-super slow, but I don't need to track below very slow, so I'll just say that I ran 7.6 slow and 18.5 very slow.

Continuing the discussion of yesterday, of having identified 7 definitely great cake shops (sells enough great cake while avoiding good or worse cake) and 2 that are tentatively ranked great but need further review, I have 35(?) excellent cake shops. Doing the math, that's four time as many, so I should top up all my greats to 8 cakes before I worry about bring my excellent ones to 2 cakes, though I have to make use of the opportunities I have, and my first priority for the weekend is doing new history and culture courses.

The few definitely (relatively) excellent cake shops are as follows:

(1) Aigre-Douce. Near Mejiro Station. This is so French, I see French people visit there. Definitely some excellent and great cakes. It's a pretty big place and does a lot of business.

(2) Au Bon Vieux Temps (Kawata Pere Fils). Way out there in Oyamadai, two stations west from Jiyugaoka.

(3) Bigarreaux. On Sazae-san street south from Sakurashimmachi. Not huge, and only two tables for eating in, but nice.

(4) Fraoula. Actually, for cake, this fails as excellent, because of too many good and an only okay cake, but some excellent/great baked goods (croissant and bostock, particularly).

(5) Lettre d'Amour. In Shirogane. Has café. Never seem to be very busy, though.

(6) Origines Cacao. In Jiyugaoka. Very close to being great.

(7) Ryoco. In Takanawa, not so far from Lettre d'Amour. No café and very busy (expect a line or early sell-out).

These all started out as Great or "Worthy", which is why I've had enough visits to nail down their excellence. The other 28, which I won't list, will require time to sort through. I hope to get there, but don't want to divert too much attention from the great shops.


No comments:

Post a Comment