Friday, March 18, 2016

Great cake shops/patisserie of Tokyo

No running today, which I may regret. Yesterday Saturday's weather sounded better than what they are saying now for Saturday, so I might have saved my legs for nothing.

Anyway, I ate too much bread from Le Petit Mec, what they call a cannelle, I think, which is a kind of cinnamon bun. It's good, but I'd like to find something better. Also, olive and cheese baguette, I think, which is especially great with cream cheese.

So I had time to finish going through my blog posts, adding up the ratings, and figuring out where everyone stands (although it's going to take a second pass to correct inconsistencies).

Definitely great shops:

(1) Dalloyau. Very French, dominates Ginza, but also appears at some department stores with cake and has shops/salons also in Jiyugaoka and next to Meguro Station.

(2) Henri le Roux (Isetan). This Isetan counter only gets in because they only have 4 cakes, but 3 of them are great and the other is excellent. Midtown store has great Kouign Amann, but not fresh cake.

(3) Jean-Paul Hévin. All chocolate. Dominates Isetan basement (in the sense of being great and having eat-in space) and also found in Ginza, Midtown, and Omotesando.

(4) Paris S'éveille. Able to stand next to Dalloyau in Jiyugaoka. Also great Kouign Amann.

(5) Pierre Hermé. Also has a special place in Isetan, although you need to go to Aoyama for a café.

(6) Sadaharu Aoki. Doesn't need a French name or great variation in shape of cakes to share Isetan and Midtown, which has café space, although Marunouchi has more space for eating in, I think.

(7) Viron. Marunouchi has a full restaurant, but Shibuya has some eat-in space and they both have excellent bread as well (actually, they are more bakeries anyway).

Potentially great shops:

(8) Frédéric Cassel at Ginza Mitsukoshi based on just four cakes (not that they have many more than four at any one time).

(9) Yu Sasage out in northwest Setagaya based on just three recent cakes.

Others that I listed as great in the beginning failed to live up to the designation, although some of these are among the definitely excellent. It's resolving all the potentially excellent ones that are going to take a lot of time, so I have to count up how many there are and decide how to split up my cake-buying. That will be a different post.

No comments:

Post a Comment