Sunday, November 3, 2019

Rue de Passy, Saint Honoré à la Pistache

Went out to do a long run and was more successful at getting cake than running, which I'll take. Today was my first attempt to do the Daita-... loop counterclockwise, and I failed within the first kilometer, but now I shouldn't fail there (might try again tomorrow). So, I switched to cakerunning mode and decided that among my weekend priorities, Rue de Passy was closer, though if I had chosen the farther, I probably would have come back by train, so actually I probably would have run less, but returned later.

The Saint Honoré à la Pistache seemed like the best bet. Since no drink order was required and it was late enough for the eat-in space to be open (but almost empty), I ate in.  I've had pistachio saint honoré before, but this one was unique: the top is a pealed grape, the choux balls are full of grape cream, and there's another whole pealed grape buried in the middle. The grape mellows the pistachio cream, I think, or at least allows less sugar to be used. I rarely encounter grape in cake, but this worked well, so I can say that it is excellent. As a result, Rue de Passy definitely qualifies to replace Le Chocolat de H (which I've had six excellent cakes from, but no great ones) in the exceptional list. It might still get bumped by one of the other contenders, since the boundary is rather fragile, but I'm going to try to avoid test that until December 1, when Coffee Parlor Hill Top should reopen, since it's currently at the top of the quite fine group and is challenging Les Cacaos.

On the way back, I noticed a new shop on Aoyama-Douri ave., Le Pécin. Didn't notice anything suitable for a runner (all gift sizes), but got a free sample that was good.

Not sure whether this is related to the café of the same name up in Shinjuku Ward. I was on my way running back to finish off the revised Jinguumae east loop, which I easily did.

No comments:

Post a Comment