Monday, December 10, 2018

Ryoura: Mille-feuille

Sunday, I got up early and did a long run out toward Ryoura. On the way, I finished checking and photographing landmarks along my largest potential loop, about 35 km in total if I run it all at once. I was out about 3 hours, most of that running. I decided to finally try their Mille-feuille, since it's a standard and they usually have a variation as well, which one of once (not they're onto a different variation). It was excellent mille-feuille, no complaints, but of course it's just flaky pastry, custard, and a little sugar, so it's hard to get too excited about it. I was better about stretching as I went, which made a difference for my feet, so I might actually be able to run long enough to do the new loop I finished charting Sunday. In the evening, I tried to make chocolate cakes again, following the recipe better than last time to hopefully get better results but had the opposite. My chocolate ganache cores are too big and I didn't push them down enough into the cake batter. Also, too much total batter, so they swelled and cracked.

Monday, I took a rest from buying cake and did a review run of the first three loops, worried that I'm not actually as familiar with what I've already added to the course, so I shouldn't be in a hurry to add more loops. As a remedy, I'm planning to redo all until I can do them both directions without reviewing them beforehand. I could do the first two short ones clockwise, but the third one I haven't done clockwise much and I failed near the end, so I'll try doing the whole loop again (if I failed at the end, I might have just gotten lucky elsewhere). The fondant came out better, though the ganache is still too big and even making 5 instead of 4, they were a little big (though the biggest was due to an air bubble at the top. Still, good enough to photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment