Thursday, December 1, 2016

Frédéric Cassel: Petite Gateau Juliette

Ran again to Ginza; really, one knee is telling me, I ran too much, though not specifically at the place where I was having trouble most recently. I ran 11 km at 10 km/h, which is too much and too fast. In fact, it's over budget until I adjust to make 10 km/h the new normal (though that still means my 9 km/h budget only counts 90% of the 10 km/h budget, so I sort of wipe out my previous gain in distance for the speed). I expect I'll slow down Saturday, but I still won't have a lot of distance left for Sunday if I follow my plan for a longer run to a new shop (I could use a shorter route, but not on roads I want to use).

Cake today was from Frédéric Cassel (フレデリック カッセル), the Petite Gateau Juliette (プティ・ガトー ジュリエット; 756 yen), which is mascarpone cream with strawberry and pistachios on top of cream cheese mouse, over a layer of pistachio crème brûlée (wouldn't have guessed that, but don't really know much about crème brûlée), on top of a thin strawberry layer, on (soft) biscuit. It was definitely excellent. Wouldn't mind making it myself, although the strawberry layer did not hold the upper layers in place, so it's good that I didn't try to run with this cake. This is "Petite" because there is a Christmas cake size of this. There were three other cakes that I haven't had before, but if the next is not great, I'll reorganize my rankings of shops putting this one with the current "near-great" shops, although I should probably call them something else if "great" just means having all or mostly chocolate cake. Unfortunately, it's not obvious how to rank adjectives. Maybe  "decent", "good", "very good", "exceptional", "superb", and "best" for what are now covered by "good", "excellent", "near-great", and "great".



No comments:

Post a Comment