Sunday, December 18, 2016

Au Bon Vieux Temps: L'Auvergne

Did a long not so slow run to Au Bon Vieux Temps (オー ボン ヴュー タン) and back. There, I got the L'Auvergne (ローベルニュ; 648 yen). Mostly, it is strawberry mousse, with a more solid maybe cheese mousse (too mild to tell, but was white) as a center layer, and surrounded by a green shell with a gelatin layer that I'm not sure what it is (there was something written on the card, but it was Japanese phonetic French, probably, and it was very crowded in the shop, so I don't remember and didn't write it down. Thought "vert" something "ine", which doesn't match lime, or the french word for lemon balm, which was the guess of the only online mention I found. The taste was not strong, whatever it was, though it certainly added a kind of fresh taste (but not obviously mint) without obviously being mind (and it's not green tea). Anyway, it did not travel well with my running (no big shock, given the many small ones), which is not their fault (I turned wrong and ate at a farther away park than I had intended). It was good and certainly fancy (before I maimed it), but I can't say it was better than good (I have no interest in eating it again). Using my cut off, I've grouped this one with five other shops and the second-tier "superb" shops (which has not been transferred  to my map much yet), but it's really an outlier and eventually I'll set up a third-tier of the best of my currently "excellent" shops and it will probably go with them.

The run was on the faster-than-it-should-be side on the way out, averaging about 10 km/h. Coming back, was all around 9 km/h and slightly longer, because of search for a park and then swinging by Cuoca to see if they sold pistachio essence or oil, which they don't (their very pretty hulled pistachios are 400 yen for 20 g. I've paid half that rate for pistachio powder, so they might be relatively worth it, but I think I can get along without them. I might buy pistachio oil, which is cheaper and would go a long way, and try adding it to butter cream for macaron filling. First, I have lots of other ingredients to use up.

Update: I forgot to say I ran 26 km, compared to 16 km once last month at a slower speed. The test will be whether I'm okay on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment